Wednesday, February 03, 2010

Apple’s new iPad is what I want


I’m hearing so much weeping an gnashing of teeth over Apple’s new iPad.  Podcasters, bloggers, and Apple haters are singing a chorus of disparaging reviews because the iPad is not doing what all of their other devices are doing.  I am as much a geek as anyone.  I like compatibility and access with my devices.  However I am going to purchase an iPad and it will be the most expensive model.  The iPad, yes "iPad", Does just about what every non-geek wants it to do.  As for us geeks who want a supercharged discounted device from Apple, We can survive. 

Its amazing that this model is being compared to netbooks, laptops, and desktop computers all running Windows OS (aka me to devices) when Apple CEO Steve Jobs clearly stated that he was creating a new category of computing devices.  Apple never intended to compete within a so-called new category of computing devices running on Windows OS.

Apple has shown for nearly all of its entire existence that it is willing to define a new category rather than to create "me to" devices in any category of computing.  That is the reason that so many attributes of many wanted in the iPad are not there and why so many attributes of the "me to" devices running Windows OS do not have what the iPad has.  The functionality is completely different.  Also people who can fit the iPad in their selection of computing devices have little need for a "me too" device.

For example, I don’t want a netbook because I don’t want to use the windows or pure linux operating systems.  I believe that the Mac specific operating system is superior.  I don’t need iPad camera because I have an iPhone 3GS 32 gig for that.  I don’t need hdmi ports, because i have a reliable iMac G5 17" connected to my 42” hdtv for that.  I don’t need flash support because both my iMac G5 AND my 27" iMac have all of the flash support that I need.  I even have an App that allows me to remotely connect to my computers both iMacs as if I am sitting there in front of them.  I can do all of my computing, send documents to my mobile me cloud, and view and/or manipulate them on my iPhone and eventually my iPad.  Devices running the Windows OS do not have that seamless functionality - they never have and never will.

I don't need Flash.  over 90 percent of the Flash that I have enjoyed online was elective.  I have yet to need it for business, school, community work, or any other required computing.  Also there is no "must have" program written in flash that can help me with my productivity.  I am patiently waiting for html 5.  It does just about what Flash can do and it is viewable on the iPhone.

As for comparing the iPad to the iPod.  The iPad runs the iWork suit, the iPod does not.  I use the iWork suite heavily.  The screen is large enough for me not to need a actual notepad anymore.  The iPod couldn't do it and my iPhone didn't do it.  Large numbers of documents will now just be sent to me electronically where I no longer have to print them out in order to view them in one screen without needing to pinch.  The iPhone and iPod form factors do not allow for that type of usage.

Now its time to move on from the collective ridicule of the iPad and toward what types of new products will be developed for the iPad.  The next postings I will have on the iPad will definitely be in that mental mode.

3 comments:

Rashu Gurung said...


Of the hard passes trekking as
Everest Three Pass trek,
Everest Gokyo Lake Trek and
Langtang ganjala Pass Trek in Nepal.

Dhansingh Gurung said...

14 Days Manaslu Circuit Trek high light trekking route in Manaslu

Trekking Packages, and magical beaten track of hidden Valley Manaslu Larke La Pass

5150m. After Annapurna Circuit Trekking Most of Trekkers are thinking about the

round Manaslu Trekking. The Manaslu Circuit Trek is restricted area of Special

Trekking Path in Nepal and day by day Trekkers Demand increased and also develops

lodge accommodation and foods. There is some option if some of trekkers has more

holidays and want to see nicer Himalayan tropical villages Monastery and Trans

Himalayan people they can select Manslu Tsum Valley Trek. That can make both

destination combined Tsum Valley and Manaslu Base Cam with Lark La Pass. The

Manaslu Trekking is little more expensive than others Trekking Routes, Because

those trekkers who are interest to go Round Manslu Larke la pass or Manaslu Tsum

Valley they have to buy four type of Trekking Permits as Manaslu conservation area

of Project (MCAP), Manaslu Restricted Permit, Tsum Valley Restricted Permit and

Annapurna Conservation Area of Project (ACAP).
14 Days Manaslu Circuit Trek Start from Kathmandu to Arughat to

Sotikhola by Public bus or Jeep and Trek to Machhakhola, Jagat, Filim, Deng,

Namrung, Lho, Sama Gaun, Samdo, Larke La Pass, Bhimtang, Gho, Tilje, Dharapani and

Drive to Besi sahar to Kathmandu. During this trip can get amazing Himalayan

flavor with outstanding white Himalayan scenery which of eight top high peak

Manaslu Expedition and Ganesh Himal, Singi Himal, Annapurna II, Annapurna IIII,

gangapurna, Lamjung and Many Others Trekking Peaks. Everest Trekking Routes Selling

14 Days Manaslu Circuit Trek full board Packages Kathmandu to Kathmandu. If anyone

interest can contact us directly thank you.
Email: info@everesttrekkingroutes.com
www.everesttrekkingroutes.com
www.adventuremountainguide.net

Karma Eco Adventure Nepal said...

Dear travel lovers,
Warm greetings from Nepal !!
We, the team Karma Eco Adventure is a leading travel and trekking company based in Kathmandu Nepal dedicated to help travelers in the country with personally crafted tours and treks. Do kindly check out our featured trip packages as: Ganjala High Pass Trek Annapurna base camp trek, Annapurna circuit trek , Ghorepani poonhill trek, Annapurna sanctuary trek, Everest base camp heli trek , Everest base camp trek